pre-party blathering

This weekend is Sara and Aubry's visit. I'm SO beyond excited about that!! We are going to do a 6 course luncheon in instead of the useal buffet/fingerfood affair. I'm tired of the same old decorations and food. I would never attempt such a thing on my own (because I have already tried it and it is impossible to cook, serve, hostess and be in costume at the same time!) but Dad really wants to be a chef for the day. I love having a Dad that thinks this is a fun way to spend his weekend. I've been trying to not feel guilty about taking advantage of him, instead I have been teasing him that I'll be refering to him as Chef Blanc-de-Blanc for the day. :>

Doing a proper luncheon opens the feild to lots of yummy food possibilities to play with. I'm determined to make a cake, although the cake I really want to make is probably too ambitious, especially since cakes are my weak spot. But it would be so awesome if I can pull it off!

Another fun thing about doing a luncheon is that we recently got a few more pieces of my great-mother's china, silver and such. There is a particularly stunning silver vegetable serving dish I'm dying to use - I keep picturing asparagus with hollandaise in it but that isn't a very practical dish to make in costume (which I would have too since hollandaise shouldn't sit). So we'll see, I'll use it for something. I'll take any excuse to use the "fancy stuff" in the house.

Party plans are also progressing nicely too. I would never attempt such a thing on my own (becssue I already have and it is impossible to cook, serve, hostess and be in costume at the same time!) but Dad really wants to be a chef for the day. He is so funny. I was teasing him that he should be called Chef Blanc-de-Blanc.

Of course most my guests have no idea what they are walking into. We didn't decide to do a "luncheon" until a few days ago and I just haven't mentioned the change in plans to most of them. Hopefully it will be a good surprise! :>

Now if I can just pin down those last RSVPs so I cn get the seating arrangments perfected...

No comments:

Post a Comment